Someone said this was the BEST RAMEN they have ever had. Ok, that someone may have been my husband but I promise this one is a game changer! I am so pleased with how it turned out, and I hope you love it too. This ramen dish is naturally low fat & vegan, and so healthy. No funky Asian pastes with weird ingredients involved. I used Jade Pearl rice ramen noodles with miso soup from Lotus Foods. This brand is LEGIT. These are traditional Japanese-style noodles made from their specialty rice (organic, whole grain, non-GMO) instead of wheat. Jade Pearl rice is gluten free and infused with bamboo extract. Their ingredients are REAL food, and nutritious and so delicious. Hope you enjoy this ramen as much as we did. Perfect cold weather meal!
- 2 packages Jade Pearl Rice Ramen / Wakame Miso Soup by Lotus Foods
- One 16 oz package super firm, organic tofu (will only need half of the tofu block for this recipe)
- 1-2 tbsp Tunisian Harissa Hot Chili Pepper Paste (NOTE: this paste is SUPER spicy! You can omit it if you’d like or use less – see instructions below for more details)
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (Chosen Foods is my go to brand)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, shredded
- 1/2 jalapeno, sliced
- 2-3 cups of chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 tsp coconut aminos (or sub soy sauce)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube (I use Knorr)
- 5 cups water
- Salt, to taste (I used ~1 tsp)
- Toppings: fresh lime, chopped cilantro, chopped basil, and sliced scallions
instructions (makes 2 servings)
- Slice 1/2 package of tofu into thick strips. Place in a bowl with Harissa paste and stir gently to coat pieces evenly.
- Lightly spray a grill pan with olive oil and saute the tofu strips for 10-15 min, until lightly crunchy, flipping pieces over halfway through. NOTE: if you want to omit the spicy Harissa paste, skip step #1 and simply grill the tofu strips plain (can add a touch of salt/pepper). Once finished, set aside.
- In a separate pot, heat sesame oil on low to medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for 3-5 min, until onions are translucent and garlic is slightly brown.
- Add shredded ginger and jalapeno slices. Mix well, cook for an additional 3 min.
- Add kale and coconut amino sauce and cook for an additional 3 min.
- Add dry ramen noodles from packet, along with the seasoning packets that come with it, water, and the vegetable bouillon cube. Stir well, cover lid and boil for 2-3 min. Lower heat to simmer with lid shut for an additional 7-8 min.
- When finished add salt if needed, to taste.
- Eat hot with toppings (lime, cilantro, basil, scallions) and place sautéed tofu on top.