Dazzle your party guests with this appetizer. The best part about this plate is you can make it the night before and stick it in the oven the day of serving. The longer it marinates, the better. This dish uses tofu as the protein source but feel free to substitute it for paneer.
- ~15-20 skewers
- Two 16 oz packages of super firm organic tofu, cut into large cubes
- 2 green bell peppers, diced into large cubes
- 2 red bell peppers, diced into large cubes
- 2 large red onions, diced into large cubes
- Other ingredients: sandwich masala, lemon wedges, and Halal guys white sauce from @patelbrothers or plain yogurt for topping at the end
ingredients for the marinade
- 1.5 cups plain whole milk yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp tandoori masala powder
- 5 cloves fresh garlic
- 1-1.5 inches peeled ginger, cut into chunks
instructions (serves as an appetizer for ~10 guests)
- Make a ginger garlic paste by blending the garlic & ginger in a food processor with 2-3 tbsp water. Note: this creates more paste than you will need for this recipe. You can freeze extra in ice cube trays for future use.
- Prepare the marinade by combining all the ingredients for the marinade listed above in a large bowl. Add 3-4 tbsp of the garlic ginger paste. Adjust spices to taste and stir well.
- Add the peppers, onion, and tofu to the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours (the longer the better if you can let it sit overnight).
- Prepare skewers by arranging peppers, onions, and tofu in a sequential fashion. Bake at 375 deg F for 20 min, reduce heat to 350 deg F, and cook for an additional 15 min.
- Sprinkle sandwich masala on top, squeeze lots of lemon, and drizzle with white sauce or yogurt.