I decided to upgrade my last version of Spanish rice and use only fresh ingredients for you guys – no jars involved here and it’s super delicious. Simple, easy, and can be paired with your favorite Mexican meals. If you feel daring, drizzle some of my creamy red enchilada sauce on top!
- 1 cup dry Basmati rice
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2.5 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp taco seasoning
instructions (makes 4 servings)
- Place rice, water, 1 tsp salt, and 1 tsp olive oil in a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover lid and lower heat to simmer for 15 min until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Heat oil in a separate pot, add cumin seeds. After 2 minutes, add diced onions and cook until translucent (3-4 min). Add tomatoes and bell peppers, cook on high for 5-7 minutes (so the mixture is boiling).
- Add butter and 1 tsp salt to pot. Stir well until butter is melted. Turn off heat and while mixture is hot, gently incorporate cooked rice. Add garlic powder and taco seasoning, stir well.