Mixed Berry Ricotta Cake, recipe adapted from Epicurious. This cake is amazing! It’s moist, yet fluffy and contains the perfect amount of sweetness. I made a strawberry sauce to drizzle on top, but feel free to use whipped cream, cool whip, ice cream, or eat plain and simple because it’s THAT GOOD! It makes a great dessert to serve at parties.
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 cups ricotta
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- For the sauce: 2 cups frozen strawberries, 2 tbsp sugar, squeeze of lemon
instructions (makes 8-10 servings)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Line a 9 inch diameter cake pan with parchment paper and lightly coat with nonstick spray. Note, you can also use a 13×9 inch rectangular cake pan. The dimensions of the cake will be different (thinner squares versus fluffy triangular pieces).
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, ricotta, and vanilla in a separate bowl until smooth. Fold into dry ingredients until just blended.
- Add melted butter, followed by the frozen mixed berries being careful not to crush the berries.
- Place batter into the prepared cake pan and bake until golden brown. Oven times may vary however I found mine to be cooked after 20-25 min. Cool for at least 20-30 min before removing from pan.
- For the sauce, melt the frozen strawberries on low heat in a saucepan (~10 min). Add sugar and lemon, and slightly purée using a handheld blender. Drizzle on top of cake when serving.