This is a staple around here, and I love this dish especially because it’s so versatile. I’ll batch it for the week and throw it into salads or wraps, serve with rice, etc. In other words, MEAL PREP! The flavors really settle in the next day as well. It can also be served as a breakfast dish, great source of protein for vegetarians / vegans in place of eggs.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- One 16 oz package of tofu (I personally like @traderjoes high protein organic tofu, super firm)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 squeezed lemon
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
instructions (makes ~3 servings)
- Saute onion in olive oil until onions are translucent (3-4 min). Add diced bell peppers and cook for an additional 5 min.
- Crumble tofu with your hands into large pieces. Drop them into the pan. NOTE: if you use the brand and type of tofu I mentioned above, you can crumble it as is. If you use other brands/types, it’s highly recommended to squeeze as much water out of the tofu as possible (the flavors / spices absorb better this way and you’re not left with a soggy mess!). I use the EZ TOFU PRESS which is available on @amazon.
- Add all the spices and lemon, stir well. Cook for an additional 5-8 min.
- Serve with rice or with salad.