I said one of my goals for 2019 was to cook more Indian food, so here you have a favorite – smooth, creamy palak paneer made with fresh spinach leaves, onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, and lots of traditional Indian spices. One of North India’s most popular dishes, this recipe is really simple to make and a definite crowd pleaser.
- 14 oz package paneer (I used Swad brand), cut into small cubes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, shredded
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander cumin powder (“dhana jeera” powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 lb fresh baby spinach, finely chopped
instructions (makes 4-5 servings)
- Spray a pan with olive oil and sauté paneer cubes to desired consistency. I cooked mine for a total of about 10-12 min on low to medium heat, flipping the pieces over halfway.
- While the paneer is grilling, in a separate pan add the following: 1-2 tbsp olive oil, yellow onion, garlic, ginger, and tomato. Cook for 5-8 min until onion is translucent and garlic is slightly brown.
- Add turmeric powder, garam masala powder, red chili powder, cumin coriander powder, and salt to the pan and mix well. Cook for another 1-2 min.
- Add 6 oz cream cheese and stir until melted and nicely combined.
- Add spinach, along with 5-6 tbsp of water. Mix well and cook until spinach is incorporated into the mixture.
- Add paneer cubes and cook for an additional 3-5 min.
- Serve warm with rice or naan, and a side of raw sliced onions 🙂