This is, hands down, the best marinara sauce. Of course, anything from scratch always usually tastes better. This recipe uses canned crushed tomatoes but feel free to use fresh chopped plum tomatoes instead (puree them slightly so they mimic the canned version). If you have some time, meal prep this sauce. It freezes really well and is so versatile!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 bulb garlic, finely minced
- Two 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pinches black pepper
- Option: fresh chopped basil for garnish
instructions (makes enough sauce to serve ~10 people pasta)
- Heat olive oil in large pot. Add cumin seeds, and cook for 1-2 min.
- Add fresh onion and garlic, sauce until onions are soft (~2-3 min).
- Add crushed tomatoes, along with brown sugar and seasonings. Sitr well, and cook on low heat for 30-40 min.
- Serve warm and garnish with fresh basil if desired.