Mexican food never gets old! These cheesy bean tostadas are so filling and incredibly delicious. I created a creamy red enchilada sauce to go with it, and made it dairy free / vegan! The sauce can be made non-vegan if you use regular butter/mayo. Either way, it’s SO good I could literally drink it out of a cup. I am also including a recipe in here for how to create your own refried pinto beans from scratch – they taste SO much better than canned. I would recommend making these in advance as they are the most time consuming part of the recipe – they also freeze really well if you have extra leftover. Hope you enjoy!
This recipe makes 6 tostadas which is enough to serve two people as a main course.
ingredients for the tostadas
- 6 corn tostadas (I used @olemexicanfoods brand found @wegmans)
- 1-1.5 cups refried pinto beans (homemade, as described in recipe below)
- ~1-1.5 cups Mexican cheese, shredded
- 1/2 large sweet potato, finely diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- For toppings: fresh jalapeño slices, chopped cilantro, and creamy red enchilada sauce (homemade, as described below)
ingredients for the refried pinto beans
- 10 oz dried pinto beans (~two-thirds of a 16 oz bag), soaked for 1-2 hours in warm water (note: soaking isn’t required but it helps digestion)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup jarred salsa
ingredients for the creamy red enchilada sauce
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (or regular butter)
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 vegetable broth cube (@knorr)
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo (or regular mayo)
instructions on refried pinto beans
- Prepare the refried pinto beans first by placing them into an instant pot (or pressure cooker). Fill enough water to cover at least 1-2 inches above the beans. Pressure cook on high x 40 min (I use the “bean/chili” function on the instant pot). When finished, puree using a handheld blender. Set aside.
- In a pot, heat olive oil and add cumin seeds. Wait 1-2 min and add onion. Cook for 2-3 min.
- Add green and red bell peppers to pot. Cook for an additional 3-4 min.
- Add cilantro, taco seasoning, salt, and garlic powder. Stir well.
- Add in pureed pinto beans and salsa. Mix well, and set aside.
instructions on creamy red enchilada sauce
- Prepare the creamy red enchilada sauce next by melting the butter in a small saucepan.
- Once melted, turn off gas and whisk flour into butter until a semi-soft paste forms.
- Turn gas back on to low to medium heat and add the red enchilada sauce. Gently whisk it into the paste.
- Add the vegetable broth cube and water – close lid and bring to a boil for 2-3 min.
- Turn gas off and let cool for 5 min. Whisk in garlic and cumin powders. Add in mayo.
- Stir well and set aside – it will thicken more as it cools.
instructions on preparing the tostadas
- Preheat oven to 400 deg F.
- Sauté diced sweet potato and frozen corn in olive oil until slightly browned (7-10 minutes).
- Assemble refried bean mixture evenly on top of corn tostadas. Sprinkle shredded Mexican cheese on top, add sweet potato / corn pieces, and bake for 10 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro, jalapeños, and drizzle creamy red enchilada sauce on top.